The Master Sword is, by far, one of the best weapons in Legend of Zelda. And just like Breath of the Wild, Link’s iconic weapon also makes its way into Tears of the Kingdom. But as always, you’ll have to go through some leaps and bounds to acquire the legendary Master Sword. So, how do you get the Master Sword in Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom? Where do you find the Light Dragon in Tears of the Kingdom, and how on earth do you get on top of the Light Dragon in Tears of the Kingdom?
To find the Master Sword in Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, you’ll first have to track down the Light Dragon, either manually or via a mainline quest. Then, make it to the Korak Forest in the Lost Woods and defeat the Phantom Ganon for the Deku Tree.
Talk to the Deku Tree to receive the “Recovering The Hero’s Sword” quest. This will mark the Light Dragon’s location. The Master Sword is found lodged in the Light Dragon’s head.
Of course, there are many formidable weapons to acquire in Tears of The Kingdom, but none can fare well against the Master Sword. But the real issue here is tracking down the Master Sword’s Location in Tears of The Kingdom. The map of Hyrule gets more expansive than ever before, making the lucrative legendary sword even harder to find.
How to Find the Master Sword in ToTK
The Master Sword isn’t found in a single stationary location as expected. Instead, it’s lodged on the cranium of a dragon, dubbed the Light Dragon, who roams around Hyrule. Even if you find the Light Dragon, things get tricky, as you’ll need two full stamina wheels to dislodge the weapon stuck on its head.
So here’s how to find the Master Sword step-by-step:
- Track down the Dragon.
- Hop onto its head.
- Dislodge the weapon from its head. For this, you’ll need two stamina wheels.
Finding the Light Dragon in Tears of the Kingdom
The Light Dragon is a long, white, slender dragon with a luminous blue aura and a shiny golden mane. Its face stands out from all the other dragons in Tears of the Kingdom. As a heads-up, the blue aura signifies the location of the Master Sword.
There’s more than one dragon in Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom, but specifically, you’ll need to track down the Light Dragon, who constantly flies in the skies of Hyrule. There are two particular ways of finding the Light Dragon in Tears of The Kingdom:
- Navigate the Lost Woods and make your way to the Korok Forest. First, you’ll have to navigate the depths of the woods. There, you’re tasked to help the Phantom Tree fight off the Phantom Ganon. After you defeat the boss, you’ll have to chat with the Deku Tree and will unlock the Recovering the Hero’s Sword quest.
- This will automatically mark the location of the Light Dragon on Hyrule’s World Map, and from there, tracking down the location of the Master Sword becomes easy. Go to the Quests Log and select the mission “Recovering the Hero’s Sword” to track the location of the Light Dragon.
- The second way is to manually stumble upon the Light Dragon as you roam the skies of Hyrule. To be fair, if you encounter the Light Dragon without triggering the previously mentioned mission, you can still acquire the Master Sword, given you have two full stamina bars.
- If you need an estimation of the Light Dragon, it’s found mostly on the Surface Level, so you won’t have to go up to the heights of the Sky Islands or navigate to the Depths. In addition, the Light Dragon doesn’t fly too high up, so you can spot it from the ground without much trouble.
How to Get On Top of the Light Dragon in Tears of the Kingdom
In contrast to Breath of the Wild, Link can ride on top of dragons in Tears of the Kingdom. Just land on their body, and you’re good to go. Of course, you’ll need elemental resistance for specific dragons, but you’ll be fine without any when it comes to the Light Dragon.
Spot the Light Dragon and fast-travel to the nearest Skyview Tower. Using the Tower as a launchpad, launch Link into the air and glide towards the Light Dragon using your paraglider.
If you accidentally fall off the slow-moving Light Dragon, bust out your paraglider, and you’ll be lifted right back up.
Getting the Master Sword From the Light Dragon in Tears of the Kingdom
Ensure you have two stamina wheels before attempting to get the Master Sword. Hold down the assigned button as Link tries to remove the Master Sword. The button sequence will end if you don’t have two stamina wheels, and the Light Dragon will shake you off. You’ll need to ensure you’ve upgraded your stamina by exchanging Lights of Blessing at Goddess Statues.
If you have two green stamina wheels, you’ll complete the sequence without trouble, and the Master Sword will automatically be added to your inventory. Finally, a cutscene will play relevant to the main plot, and the Master Sword will finally be yours in Tears of The Kingdom.
Does the Master Sword Break in Tears of the Kingdom?
No, the Master Sword doesn’t break in Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, nor does it have infinite weapon durability, as one would assume. Instead, the Master Sword has an energy meter that depletes with time. If you use the Master Sword for a prolonged duration, you’ll get a prompt stating, “The Master Sword is running low on energy.” To use the Master Sword again, you’ll have to wait until it recharges.
That pretty much sums up everything you need to know to find the location of the Master Sword in Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. It’s no easy feat, as you’ll need to unlock two green stamina wheels and manually or quest-wise track down the Light Dragon, but it’s worth it in the end.